The Nova Scotia Utilities and Review Board is deciding whether to extend a construction permit for the Alton Gas underground storage caverns to 2023. Some 60 interested parties submitted comments in writing. What happens next, and how the Board reaches its decision is anybody’s guess. This secrecy and lack of dialogue is not a good thing, given the controversies and complexities surrounding the project.
PSA: “At this time it appears both federal and provincial governments are knowingly protecting Alton Gas instead of protecting fish habitat and Treaty Rights. This needs to stop now. The laws are in place, it is now your duty as the government to suspend all permits and charge the company.”
Late last year Alton Gas applied to the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board (NSUARB) for a renewal of its approval to construct an underground hydrocarbons storage facility. As part of the NSUARB review interested parties were asked for submissions. This is the submission of Dale Andrew Poulette, Mi’kmaq water protector.
Young people in Halifax crowded into MP Andy Fillmore’s office as part of a widespread sit-in for bold climate action. “Youth are taking action because the recent UN climate report has given the world 12 years to act, and this Liberal government is failing to take adequate steps to prevent climate disaster.
After talking with with civil servants at Environment and Climate Change Canada, local water protectors believe.that Alton Gas doesn’t have the necessary approvals to start the release of brine into the Shubenacadie River. We asked the feds and the province what’s up, and their responses were pretty vague.
Jack Leonard takes a close look at the Goldboro LNG proposal and finds lots wrong with it. There is climate change, of course, but there are other issues at play as well, both for the province and for Guysborough County.
Letter to Margaret Miller, Minister of the Nova Scotia Department of Environment, sent on October 3 by Alton Gas water protectors Rachael Greenland-Smith and Dale Poulette about a federal non-compliance issue. The group has not yet received a response.
News release: Water protector and Mi’kmaq Elder Dorene Bernard did not mince words during a speech by Premier McNeil this morning. The premier’s talk was entitled ‘Open for Business: Nova Scotia on the Move’, which Bernard says is a blatant glossing over of the Indigenous right to free, prior, and informed consent. “We’re only open for business if treaty rights holders give their free, prior, and informed consent,” says Bernard. “That consent doesn’t come from the KMK termination table, it comes from the people and the traditional governments.”
This weekend’s video is a short trailer for the documentary The water protectors’ journey. This film about the Alton Gas resistance documents a journey along the Sipekne’katik River, which leads to a sacred island known to the Mi’kmaq as the traditional campsite of Glooscap’s grandmother. The full film premieres in Halifax this Saturday March 31.
Check out this Talking Radical Radio podcast episode on Alton Gas. Scott Neigh interviews water protectors Dorene Bernard and Rebecca Moore. Scott has been putting these weekly shows together for years now, talking at length to people fighting the good fight across Canada. You should check it out.