- Because 22 people, including a pregnant woman, were murdered in less than 24 hours, and each of these murders was preventable.
- Because the victims’ families asked for a public inquiry and were denied.
- Because the murders are rooted in gender-based violence and misogyny.
- Because a woman or girl is killed every 2.5 days.
- Because most murdered women and girls are killed by men known to them.
- Because kids deserve to grow up safe from misogyny and gun violence.
- Because every year there are 1,300 firearm deaths.
- Because rural women face a higher risk of domestic violence.
- Because living in a rural area increases the risk of being murdered with a firearm.
- Because 100 people were killed by police in Canada from 2017-2020.
- Because police dismiss 1 in 5 sexual assault claims as baseless.
- Because without compelling testimony, the truth will not to be told.
- Because the calls for a public inquiry come from all sectors of society.
- Because this tragedy must drive systemic and structural change.
- Because only recommendations from a public inquiry can be enforced.
- Because this is the largest mass shooting in Canada in our lifetimes.
- Because criminalized communities, sex workers, people who use drugs, trans, Black, Indigenous and racialized people have taught us that policing has never been about our safety.
- Because (ex)police should not investigate police.
- Because the police and government are accountable to the people.
- Because we’ve lost trust in leaders and institutions and their closed-door decisions.
- Because we deserve to understand what happened.
- Because we demand accountability, transparency and justice
General Strike for a public inquiry into the Nova Scotia mass shooting
On Monday, July 27th at noon, we are calling for a Canada-wide 22 minute-strike.
Join in person or online. https://www.facebook.com/events/722064005033457?active_tab=about
We ask that you stop what you are doing and demand that our leaders call for a comprehensive public inquiry of the largest mass murder in Canada in our lifetimes.
Flood their inboxes with emails demanding a public inquiry. Tag their social media accounts telling them all the reasons why we need a public inquiry.
Here are 22 reasons why, but we are sure that you can think of more.