Environment featured

Update: More on the Moose country blockade: “It could become tense”

Second encampment. Contributed.

KJIPUKTUK (Halifax) – Implied threats of violence and a potentially closed-off access road used to the original encampment are among the concerns at the Moose country blockade deep in the backcountry of Digby County.

Earlier this morning we reported how the group issued a call for reinforcements after six loggers in three trucks arrived at a newly established second encampment this morning at 5 AM, and managed to drive around the blockade. 

A conversation with Nina Newington, spokesperson for the group, conveyed the urgency of their request. 

“After the early morning incident two foresters arrived who seemed a bit more conciliatory. They asked if they could send a logging truck to pick up the logs that had already been cut, and could they retrieve some of their equipment,” said Newington. 

“We said yes to the equipment, but told them we needed to discuss the other request. 15 minutes later the logging truck, one of those big tandem trailers, appeared, and they just basically kind of busted through, with just inches to spare,” Newington said.

Next the group was told that the forest workers fully intended to keep cutting each and every day, Newington told the Nova Scotia Advocate. 

“We will alert the RCMP that we’re going to be fully blocking the road tomorrow morning, and it could become tense. “Foresters told us, If you don’t move your vehicles, we will move them for you, and things like that,” Newington said.

Meanwhile, a separate forestry company apparently intends to block access to the original encampment. For now they placed logs on the road, which crosses a patchwork of private and Crown lands. The intention appears to be to construct a gate. The company told the group that it is concerned that traffic to and from the first encampment will damage the portion of the road that crosses their land. 

“This is going to make it so we will be trapped back here. It’s going to be tricky. It seems amazing that a private company can block that kind of access to crown land. This is feeling quite scary, Newington said.

Newington reiterated the request for reinforcements. If you can go and join the forest protectors TODAY (Monday Nov 23) – please contact Debbie for directions at 902 665 2355 /cell 902 840 0481 d.giffin@bellaliant.net

She also asked all sympathisers to urgently contact WestFor, the company doing the logging in the area, at 902 210 7073 and also at 902-530-2362, email communications@westfor.org.

As well, call Lands and Forestry Minister Derek Mombourquette:, (902) 424-5935 (Halifax main office), and Sydney office: 902-562-8870. Email mindnr@novascotia.ca.

With a special thanks to our generous donors who make publication of the Nova Scotia Advocate possible.

Subscribe to the Nova Scotia Advocate weekly digest and never miss an article again. It’s free!

Post Comment