CANADA, June 13, 2020 — As COVID-19 continues to threaten migrant lives and livelihoods, thousands are expected to rally online and in the streets for full immigration status for all migrants. Following the deaths of two migrant farmworkers in Ontario, Prime Minister Trudeau promised to “do better”.
Already, the federal cabinet is considering regularizing some asylum seekers working in healthcare. The Migrant Rights Network (MRN) – Canada’s largest migrant justice coalition – is calling for regularization and full immigration status for all non-permanent residents in the country to give migrants the ability to protect and care for themselves and their families during the pandemic. Full Immigration Status for All is necessary for a full and just recovery from COVID-19.
No One is Illegal – Halifax/K’jipuktuk, as a member of MRN, echoes these calls.
WHAT: Massive Digital Rally and Caravan for Full Immigration Status for All
WHEN: 12pm EST / 1pm ADT, June 14, 2020. Other actions throughout the day.
WHERE: Broadcast at www.MigrantRights.ca/June2020 (RVSP here)
WHO: Migrant leaders from across Canada, including domestic careworkers, farmworkers, immigration detainees, refugees, migrant students and undocumented people.
- At least 1 in 23 people in Canada are migrants, without citizenship rights.
- Some 60,000 temporary temporary workers came to Canada last year, 1,500 of them to Nova Scotia.
- Migrants are on various study, work or humanitarian permits, or without documentation at all.
- Many migrants are excluded from universal healthcare, access to federal income support, and decent work. Many are separated from their families.
- Migrant workers are unable to fully protect themselves during COVID-19 because of lack of income, or because speaking out about unsafe work and housing conditions can result in deportation.
- Read more on migrant priorities during COVID-19 at https://migrantrights.ca/covid19/, and more on Status for All at https://migrantrights.ca/statusforall/
- On June 14, 2020 (all times ADT):
- 12:45pm: Migrant Students Online Rally
- 1:00pm: Massive Digital Rally for Status for All
- 5:00pm: Digital Rally in Spanish for Status for All
- 6:00pm: Digital Rally in Mandarin for Status for All
- 6:00pm: Car Caravan for Status for All, Vancouver, BC
– 30 –