When: Saturday, May 30 @ 3pm
Where: Victoria Park (opposite Public Gardens), Halifax / K’jipuktuk
Community members in Halifax are gathering to demand justice for Regis Korchinski-Paquet and all Black lives. Korchinski-Paquet, a 29 year old Afro-Indigenous woman, died on May 27th after Toronto police were called to her apartment. Just two days earlier, George Floyd – a 46 year old Black man – died at the hands of police in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Justice for Regis solidarity actions are taking place throughout the country. In Halifax, the rally is being organized by the Justice for Regis Nova Scotia Coalition.
Organizers of the event have shared these physical distancing guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Please wear a mask and bring hand sanitizer if you have some.
- Please carefully consider attendance if you are at risk for COVID-19.
- Please be careful to physically distance from others (2 metres/6 feet) when you are entering the park.
- Stay 2 metres (6 feet) apart from people you don’t live with or who aren’t in your family household bubble. Travel to the protest in small groups.
- We will have marshalls on site for assistance.
Please stay home if you have any of the following: Fever (i.e. chills, sweats), Cough or worsening of a previous cough, Sore throat, Headache, Shortness of breath, Muscle aches, Sneezing, Nasal Congestion/runny nose, Hoarse voice, Diarrhea, Unusual fatigue, Loss of sense of smell or taste, Red, purple or blueish lesions, on the feet, toes or fingers without clear cause.
As an alternative, you can show solidarity online.